Simple Steps to Follow When an Auto Accident Happens
Have you been involved in an auto accident? At The Owens Law Firm we will explain your rights and the laws in Texas regarding auto accidents. To protect your rights after an accident, you should follow these simple steps:
- Remain at the scene of the auto accident
- Exchange information with the other people involved in the accident
- Obtain information from any eye witnesses
- Perform an assessment of any injuries or damage
- Call the police if the accident caused an injury or at least $500 in property damage
- Receive medical attention for all injuries
In Texas, if you are not at fault for the auto accident you have the right to recover bodily injury or property damages from the other driver. However, a determination must be made as to which driver is consider to be at fault. The “at-fault” driver is responsible for monetary compensation for your injuries and damages. However, Texas law does not guarantee a recovery even if the other driver is at fault and you have sustained bodily injury. In an auto accident lawsuit, the plaintiff or injured party bears the burden to prove they were injured and that their injury was a result of the accident.
To assert a bodily injury claim in Texas, one must prove:
- Liability (Fault) – Liability or fault can be proven in various ways, which include but are not limited to: police or accident reports; witness statements; accident scene investigations; and accident scene re-creations.
- Injury – A person can prove injuries through medical records and bills.
- Compensation – In an auto accident case, the at-fault driver’s motor vehicle insurance company normally pays for damages. However, if the at-fault driver does not have auto insurance then there may be other avenues of recovery.
Auto Accident Attorneys
At The Owens Law Firm, we will present your claim to the at-fault driver’s motor vehicle insurance company. The insurance company will evaluate the merits of the demand package that we send over. Once the insurance company evaluates the merits of your claim, an insurance adjuster will contact us to begin negotiations. Negotiating on your behalf, we will evaluate the offer and may make a counter offer accordingly. As your attorney, we will fight to recover what you deserve.
If you have been injured in an auto accident in the Metroplex, you need to contact The Owens Law Firm at 817-334-7997 for a free consultation.